Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Land-Rover Toyota conversion so far...

So, almost a week into getting the landy back on the road.

The inside is still a mess, but it is starting to look better. We had stripped off the dash to remove the Disco's original ECU. It's almost a whole carry bag og wire loom and computer. This we replaced with Dicktator ECU and gearbox control unit.

Fuel pump is also controlled off the Dicktator ECU, so we hunted down the line for that, and connected it up. Fuel lines are now correctly connected up.

We made a dual battery system with a huge battery that only kicks in when the car ignition is turned on to do the starting. Since this is an automatic transmission, getting stuck with a non-starting car in the bush is not a good thing to think about.

Engine is basically wired up, all injectors and coils working together. Well, almost. Only six of the eight pistons are firing, and we found some perished O-rings. Since the car had been standing so long, stuff like this is to be expected.

Gearbox is getting some lubricant now, it's a painfully slow process as it can only be filled through the dipstick tube.

The thermostat did trip us up a little, as I expected the Thermostat to be the exit for hot water from the engine, and built the hoses for the radiator accordingly. To my surprise when we started the engine, water came out of where I thought the inlet was going to be.

So, I had to re-route the water. Interestingly, there is not quite enough space in front of the engine for a radiator viscous fan, so we put two slimline fans on there. We still need to go do some testing and see whether this will be enough to keep the engine cool, or whether we will be moving the entire engine back to accomodate a viscous fan. Anyways, getting the fans to kick in we need a fan switch, so I made a fitting for that out of stainless steel. The stuff actually welds pretty nicely... if only it was not so very expensive!

I am still stuck with a gearbox from a Prado in there... Hopefully I will be getting the 2H transmission delivered while I am at sea, and fit it pretty quick when I get home. I should also have a little more funds to see this project through.

My advice for anyone attempting to build a Lexus V8 in to any car.... make sure you have ALL the parts laid out before stripping apart a perfectly working car... And this goes double when the car in question is an automatic transmission.....

6 comments:

  1. Hi, you make mind blowing ideas about regarding Techno British.and a spectacular article here. Last time, when I saw your site this was a little good but today I visit the web site again and find that you guys making a very smart work on the site. Today Web surfing is run very fast and a huge competition over the web is spread. So it is quite interesting. Thanks…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find many useful things herewith. It is really amazing for us. Where ever we are, just click on the website and Take advantages regarding regarding Techno British.Your article impressed me very heartily. From a last decade I was searching such type of web site. Thanks for giving me a space in your blog. I refer this to my close friends who are already seeking for the same .thanks again guys…

    ReplyDelete
  3. An impressive post regarding regardingland rover parts.I just gave this to a colleague who is doing a little analysis on this topic. And he is very happy and thanking me for finding it. But all thanks to you for writing in such simple words. Big thumb up for this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find many useful things herewith. It is really amazing for us. Where ever we are, just click on the website and Take advantages regarding regarding Techno British.Your article impressed me very heartily. From a last decade I was searching such type of web site. Thanks for giving me a space in your blog. I refer this to my close friends who are already seeking for the same .thanks again guys…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on regarding Techno British And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and yes, you got it. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, you make mind blowing ideas about regarding land rover partsand a spectacular article here. Last time, when I saw your site this was a little good but today I visit the web site again and find that you guys making a very smart work on the site. Today Web surfing is run very fast and a huge competition over the web is spread. So it is quite interesting. Thanks…

    ReplyDelete